Monday, April 29, 2013

Altesino - Rosso di Altesino 2010, IGT

Here's a quick note on a wine of solid value, from a big Montalcino producer, Altesino. This is, by their own description, an everyday wine, and I have to say, you could do a lot worse than to drink this every day. The "Rosso di Altesino" should not be confused with the Rosso di Montalcino. Rather, this is an I.G.T. wine made of 80% Sangiovese, with Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot comprising the other 20%. It can be easily found for around $15.

The nose starts off with some bite, and a little acridity, although not unpleasantly so. There's plenty of dark fruit there as well, primarily blackberry, with a little violet, and firm flinty notes underneath. The palate presents with a smooth texture, and pleasing fragrant wood notes, along with charred black cherry and mineral earth. The acidity plays a lesser role, behind the fairly extracted fruit and dense, fine grained, texture.  Later, a clear Bordeaux-like nose begins to develop, with cedar, pencil shavings, and some ink. There was also a subtle hint of spearmint late on the nose. Quite firm in its nature, but satisfying, and resilient, for the duration of the bottle. 14% ABV.  88Pts

No comments:

Post a Comment